Global Carbon Budget: Record Emissions

Global Carbon Budget: Record Emissions

22

Published

22 September 2014

The 2014 Global Carbon Budget has been released ahead of the U.N. Climate Summit, showing that carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning and cement production increased by 2.3% in 2013 to new record levels. It said that emissions were 61% above the 1990 levels (the Kyoto Protocol reference year).

The report from the Global Carbon Project, which is co-sponsored by the World Climate Research Programme, said emissions are projected to increase by a further 2.5% in 2014.

In 2013, the ocean and land carbon sinks respectively removed 27% and 23% of total CO2 (fossil fuel and land use change), leaving 50% of emissions in the atmosphere.

The Global Carbon Budget examined regional fossil fuel emissions, consumption-based fossil fuel emissions, emissions from land use change, emission pathways, CO2 removals by natural sinks, atmospheric CO2 and cumulative carbon emissions.

The World Climate Research Programme is sponsored by WMO. WMO’s recently published Greenhouse Gas Bulletin said that atmospheric concentrations of CO2  reached new records in 2013. It also included an analysis on the impact of this on the oceans, which are suffering unprecedented acidification.

The Global Carbon Budget Report is available here.

Share this page