Following the official opening of the Congress, the first two days of the session were dedicated to in-depth discussions on key Congress resolutions with significant implications for Members. These discussions were organized for each region in parallel and supported by presidents of regional associations and the Secretariat. Topics for discussions to facilitate the plenary decision-making included:
- Strategic and operational plan and budget; capacity development
- Constituent body reform (more extended time covering all aspects)
- Services (Global Multi-Hazard Alert System (GMAS), Multi-Hazard Early Warnings Systems (MHEWS), Hydrological Status and Outlook System (HydroSOS), and others)
- Observations (Global Basic Observing Network, World Water Data Initiative, and others)
- Public-private engagement and data policy
In addition, relevant research aspects were factored in the above topics.