Resolution 9 (Cg-18) and IOC Resolution XXX-2 established:
(1) To incorporate appropriate JCOMM functions and activities on observation and operational ocean forecasting systems into the IOC-WMO-UN Environment-ISC Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS), with functional connections to the Commission for Observation, Infrastructure and Information Systems
(2) To incorporate appropriate JCOMM functions and activities on data management and processing into the Commission for Observation, Infrastructure and Information Systems, with a close connection to the work of the IOC International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange (IODE)
(3) To incorporate appropriate JCOMM functions and activities on services into the Commission for Services and Applications, with a close connection to relevant IOC activities in early warning and services
(4) To establish the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board, as a high-level coordination mechanism with broader engagement of the key relevant bodies of the WMO and IOC, with the terms of reference as given in the Annex to this Resolution
The Resolution further recommends that for its first intersessional period, the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board be co-chaired by the current co-chairs of the Joint WMO-IOC Consultation Group on the Reform of JCOMM, with the technical advice of the current JCOMM co-presidents, noting that these co-chairs would have flexibility to adjust the length of initial appointment terms defined in the Terms of Reference, in order to stagger future rotation of members.
Review of the performance of the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board in coordination with IOC governing bodies is recommended, with an initial review in four years.
The proposed Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board would:
- facilitate the continued work of all JCOMM functions and activities, by recommending connections to appropriate working structures on both sides,
- make recommendations on evolving the governance for the Global Ocean Observing System, in consultation with all co-sponsors, to further develop the partnership and functional connections between GOOS and WIGOS,
- prepare, in consultation with WMO and IOC technical, scientific and regional bodies, a comprehensive and coordinated WMO-IOC Collaborative Strategy, based on existing sectoral strategies, and submit it in two years to the WMO and IOC governing bodies for adoption
- encourage WMO Members and IOC Member States to coordinate national responses to the advice of the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board brought to WMO and IOC governing bodies
The Secretary-General of WMO is to define, in consultation with the IOC Executive Secretary, the working arrangements for the sponsorship of current JCOMM bodies and for the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board and to report on implementation at the seventy-second session of the Executive Council; and to evaluate, in consultation with the IOC Executive Secretary, the financial and secretariat support requirements for the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board, and make adequate provisions in the budget.
The IOC Assembly is invited to reflect in its decisions the content of this Resolution.