The South West Indian Ocean Climate Outlook Forum (SWIOCOF) has issued its seasonal_outlook_for_October_to_January as part of a coordinated drive to improve climate services for the Indian Ocean islands.
- Below average rainfall is likely in the northern part of the region including Comoros, Seychelles and the northern part s of Mozambique and Madagascar.
- Near to above average rainfall is likely over the southern part of the region including southern Mozambique, southern Madagascar and South-Africa.
- Near to below average rainfall is likely over the islands of Mauritius and Reunion.
- The dry signal on the northern part of the Southwest Indian Ocean region is expected to weaken during the second half of the targeted period.
- Near to below average cyclone activity is expected during the coming cyclonic season.
The target countries of SWIOCOF-5 included the five Indian Ocean Commission Members (Comoros, La Reunion/France, Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles) as well as the coastal areas of South Africa, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Collaborating partners included Meteo-France, ACMAD and the Indian Ocean Commission. WMO supported the overall coordination for the Outlook Forum, which received financial support from Environment and Climate Change Canada.
The meeting, which took place in the Seychelles 19-23 September, agreed on the need t continue the outlook forums on a regular and sustainable basis because they are of great value to islands states and coastal regions.