WMO’s Voluntary Cooperation Programme (VCP) has just issued its 2012 newsletter with details of capacity building and development activities during the year.
In 2012, the VCP Secretariat received new requests for support from Armenia, Belarus, Cuba, Fiji, Ghana, Guyana, Kiribati, Mauritania, Moldova, Samoa, Sudan, Tajikistan, Uganda, Vanuatu and Zimbabwe. A total of 21 requests were received in 2012, of which WMO received sponsorship for 17 projects (80% of all requests).
Key projects and activities included:
· Emergency Disaster Assistance to Fiji for following severe flooding in early 2012
· Expert mission to Kiribati to update the Meteorological Service Strategic Plan
· Support to reinforcing the NMS of Mauritania and Ethiopia for broadcasting meteorological bulletins on local TV.
· Expert mission to Samoa to conduct QMS training for aviation services
· Expert services provided for Drafting of Meteorology Bill for the Kingdom of Tonga,
Niue and Vanuatu
· Expert mission in Seychelles for the installation of two Automatic Weather Stations
· LoA with Meteo-France- WMO`s contribution to implementation of Project on rescue
of climatalogical data in Madagascar including rehabilitation of the CliSys system.
Other countries that received support; included, Angola, Belarus, Cuba, Fiji, Madagascar,
Maldives, Mexico, Moldova, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Vanuatu and Zambia.