The Systematic Observations Financing Facility (SOFF) will support countries to generate and exchange basic observational data critical for improved weather forecasts and climate services. It will provide technical and financial assistance in new ways – applying internationally agreed metrics - the requirements of the Global Basic Observing Network (GBON) - to guide investments, using data exchange as a measure of success, and creating local benefits while delivering on a global public good. The SOFF will contribute to strengthen climate adaptation and resilience across the globe, benefitting in particular the most vulnerable.
The creation of the SOFF is spearheaded by the World Meteorological Organization in collaboration with a wide range of international organizations, including the members of the Alliance for Hydromet Development. The Alliance unites efforts of major development and climate finance partners to close the capacity gap on high-quality weather forecasts, early warning systems and climate information.
- European Meteorological Institutions statement
- SOFF Infographic
- SOFF Brochure
- The Systematic Observations Financing Facility - How will it work
- The value of Surface Based Meteorological Observation Data Costs and benefits of the Global Basic Observing Network
- The gaps in the Global Basic Observing Network
- The value of GBON Exploring the Insurance Sector
- Resolution 34 of the 18th World Meteorological Congress