The LVB is the lifeblood of East Africa supporting approximately 25 percent of the population. The people and economy heavily depend on rain-fed agriculture and fish industries in this basin. On average, 3,000-5,000 deaths occur each year due to navigation accidents caused by strong winds and waves, and there were no regional, operational warning systems in place to protect the safety of those exploiting the natural resources of the LVB.
High Impact Weather Lake System (HIGHWAY) Project
- United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID)
- Uganda National Meteorological Authority (UNMA)
- Rwanda Meteorological Agency (RMA)
- Tanzania Meteorological Authority (TMA)
- UK Met Office
- East African Community (EAC)
- Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC)
- Kenya Meteorological Department (KMD)
HIGHWAY is a 4,500,000.00 GBP project under the Weather and Climate and Information SErvices for Africa (WISER) programme, funded by the UK department for International Development (DFID) which looks to enhance the resilience of African people and economic development to weather and climate related shocks, with an inital focus on the Lake Victoria Basin (LVB).