The resource consists of 16 illustrated posters that depict:
- The water cycle;
- Climate in the Pacific islands and around the globe;
- Causes of climate change;
- Interrelationships between different factors;
- How the climate is changing in five Pacific Island countries; and
- Mitigation and adaptation measures that can be implemented through gardening, forestry and fishing activities and in a town centre.
In addition, country-specific teachers’ guides illustrate and explain the key concepts. Copies are available online at www.spc.int/cc-project/.
The Fiji Ministry of Education launched the new resource in June in Suva with climate change focal points from the Governments of Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu. Around 500 individuals contributed to its development – from students, teachers and teacher trainers to national and regional climate change and education experts, editors, graphic designers, secretaries and accountants. An initial supply of 6000 copies of the resource will be printed and distributed through ministries of education to primary and secondary schools in Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu.