The MINIMAX Competition, launched on 24 March at a special session of the 9th World Water Forum, is open to all initiatives that contribute to improving flood, drought and water resources management. It aims to identify innovative and practical solutions to minimize the negative impacts of hydroclimatic extremes and maximize socio-economic and environmental benefits.
WMO, the Global Water Partnership (GWP) and the Water and Climate Coalition (WMO is a Member of both) have teamed up to organize this new competition which aims to collect and identify practical and innovative water and climate solutions. Rather than focusing on technological and scientific approaches, these solutions should clearly highlight how they contribute to building climate resilience and improving water governance more broadly.
Participants at the launch selected four priority areas for the MINIMAX Competition on which all submissions will have to be anchored:
- Enhancing water and climate finance
- Developing climate smart water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH)
- Empowering and engaging youth meaningfully
- Leveraging water data and information.
The goals of the competition:
- Inspire action by providing practical and innovative insights on overcoming challenges that motivates actors to develop new water and climate solutions.
- Build bridges between the water and climate communities and demonstrating how water action can lead to fostering climate adaptation and mitigation.
- Accelerate change through scaling up and replicating innovative solutions by strengthening collaboration between stakeholders from various sectors and at different level.
For more information or to submit a proposal, visit MINIMAX Competition.