Type of news:
13 contents match your search.
Publish Date: 29 November 2019
Given current conditions and model outlooks, the chance of ENSO-neutral conditions prevailing during the period December 2019 through February 2020 is estimated at about 65%, while the chances for El Niño and La Niña are 30% and 5%, respectively, according to WMO’s El Niño/La Niña Update.
Publish Date: 13 November 2019
Flash floods cause more than 5,000 deaths worldwide annually, exceeding any other flood-related event. As the global population increases, especially in urban areas, and societies continue to encroach upon floodplains, the need for flash flood early warning systems becomes more paramount.
Publish Date: 2 September 2019
Average sea surface and land temperatures across large parts of the world are forecast to be above normal in September-November, despite the expected absence of a full-blown El Niño event, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Publish Date: 27 May 2019
A strong El Niño event during 2019 appears unlikely, according to a new World Meteorological Organization Update, which is based on forecast models and expert opinion from around the globe. Sea surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean have been at borderline to weak El Niño levels in April and early May 2019. Some El Niño-like atmospheric patterns have also been present.
Publish Date: 13 May 2019
The Second Multi-Hazard Early Warning Conference has opened at World Meteorological Organization headquarters with calls for more impact-based warnings that reach the most vulnerable as part of wider climate adaptation, disaster risk reduction and sustainable development strategies.
Publish Date: 28 March 2019
The physical signs and socio-economic impacts of climate change are accelerating as record greenhouse gas concentrations drive global temperatures towards increasingly dangerous levels, according to a new report from the World Meteorological Organization. The WMO Statement on the State of the Global Climate in 2018, its 25 th anniversary edition, highlights record sea level rise, as well as exceptionally high land and ocean temperatures over the past four years. This warming trend has lasted since the start of this century and is expected to continue.
Publish Date: 11 April 2019
The first World Meteorological Centres Workshop, hosted by the China Meteorological Administration in Beijing, has agreed to strengthen cooperation mechanisms to boost global forecasting capabilities and earth system prediction and research to serve society.
Publish Date: 26 February 2019
There is a 50-60% chance of El Niño developing by May 2019, although it is not expected to be a strong event, according to the latest update from the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Sea surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific were at or slightly below El Niño thresholds in January and early February 2019. Some El Niño-like atmospheric patterns also emerged around late January.