Секретариат возглавляет Генеральный секретарь, который назначается Всемирным метеорологическим конгрессом на четырехлетний срок полномочий с пребыванием в должности не более 8 лет. Генеральный секретарь несет ответственность за назначение всего персонала Секретариата, включая заместителя Генерального секретаря и помощника Генерального секретаря, в соответствии с правилами, установленными Конгрессом, и с одобрения Исполнительного совета.
The following entities report directly the Secretary-General:
|Paul Egerton, Director, Cabinet Office of the Secretary-General|
The Cabinet Office of the Secretary-General lends support to the Secretary-General, Deputy Secretary-General, Assistant Secretary-General and the Secretariat to deliver on the goals and objectives of the Organization.
Reporting directly to the Cabinet Office:
- Executive Management Support Unit
- External Relations and Protocol Office, Officer: Sarah Natalie Burke
- Strategic Communications Office, Media Officer: Clare Nullis, Editor: Sylvie Castonguay
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Risk and Performance Unit, Head: Assia Alexieva
- Controller's Office, Controller ad interim: Tomiji Mizutani
- United Nations Affairs Office, Acting Representative and Coordinator to the United Nations and Other International Organizations in North America: Laura Paterson
- European Union Affairs Office, Head: Christophe Jacob
- Climate Risk Early Warning Systems (CREWS) Initiative, Head: John Harding
Maja Carrieri, Director, Governance Services Department
The Governance Services Department provides a gamut of services to the WMO Secretariat and its Members.
Brigitta Exterkate is the Deputy Director of Governance Services and the Director, Legal Counsel and Administration, which provides the following services:
- Legal advice and support
- Procurement and contract management
- Human Resources Section, Chief: Johannes Kratzheller
- Finance and Budget Section, Chief: Brian Cover
Anthony Duncker is the Director of Linguistic, Conference and Common Services, which provides the following services:
- Linguistic Support and Production, Chief: Roman Nazarov
- Conference and Common Services, Chief: Elhousseine Gouaini
- Facilities Manager: Khaled Bel Melih
Through its Central Service Platform, the Governance Services Department ensures consolidated administrative and operational services for all the Secretariat departments and their activities.
Dimitar Ivanov, Director, Public-Private Engagement Office
The Public-Private Engagement department promotes greater cooperation between the public, private and academic sectors operating in the global weather enterprise.
Alok Ojha, Director, Internal Oversight Office
The Internal Oversight Office (IOO) provides an independent, objective verification of financial, administrative and operational activities of WMO.
The WMO Ethics Office confidentially investigates reports of fraud, corruption and abuse in the Organization.
Cecile Divino is the Ethics Officer for WMO and ITU.
The following entities report directly to the Deputy Secretary-General
The Deputy Secretary-General oversees the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(IPCC), established by the WMO and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly.
Jürg Luterbacher, WMO Chief Scientist and Director, Science and Innovation Department
The Science and Innovation Department (SI) is responsible for effective and efficient promotion of advances in target areas of research. It provides leadership in research activities towards advancing scientific knowledge of the Earth System, enhancing the science-for-service value chain through improved predictive capabilities and in advancing policy-relevant science.
The Science and Innovation Department includes
Johan Stander, Director, Services Department
The Sector Services Branch includes:
Maxx Dilley is the Deputy Director of Services, the Cross-cutting Coordinator for Climate and Director of Climate Services Branch:
- Climate Monitoring and Policy Services Division, Head: Omar Baddour
- Regional Climate Prediction Services Division, Head: Wilfran Moufouma Okia
- Applied Climate Services Division, Head: Robert Stefanski
- Technical Coordinator Project Technical Coordination and GFCS Support Unit: Jean-Baptiste Migraine
Cyrille Honoré, Director, Disaster Risk Reduction and Public Services Branch, which includes
Hydrological and Water Resources Services Division, Head: Hwirin Kim
Across these areas, the department also supports the development and operationalization of common attributes for product and service delivery, quality management standards and competencies, emerging services and applications, and regional and global partnerships in support of all of the above areas.
Johannes Cullmann, Director, Cross-Cutting Coordination Water and Cryosphere
Water resource management is essential to sustainable development and climate change adaptation, and requires monitoring water, snow and ice and global, regional and national coordination of related activities. Hydrology and Cryosphere Coordination ensures that WMO can deliver against the targets set in the WMO Strategic Operating Plan and comply with the eight WMO water ambitions.
Cross-Cutting Coordination - Water and Cryosphere is responsible for:
- Supporting the WMO Hydrological Assembly and the Hydrological Coordination Panel
- Coordinating WMO contributions to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal Six (SDG6) on Water, including through the Coalition for SDG6 implementation
- Coordination development of an action plan for the eight WMO water ambitions
- Leading the development of the WMO Hydrological Status and Outlook System (HydroSOS) which aims to enable all WMO Members to support development of a global system that helps national, regional and global adaptation planning related to water
- Coordinating activities related to the cryosphere, including the development of a key cryosphere indicator that supports regional and global adaptation planning.
- Supporting WMO Regional Associations in integrating hydrology at regional and national levels.
Sarah Grimes, Cross-cutting Coordinator for Ocean
Covering more than 70% of the earth, the ocean is a major component of the Earth system, and inextricably linked to the global climate. Ocean-atmosphere interaction is critical to understanding climate and weather, and indeed is a major driver in seasonal variability, and extreme weather events.
Cross Cutting Ocean Coordination covers:
- Strategic development of ocean activities at WMO for the benefit of Members in accordance with the WMO Strategic and Operational Plan, annual objectives and performance indicators.
- Strengthening existing and developing new partnerships of strategic relevance to the ocean activities in support of the WMO Strategic Long-Term Goals, and its international commitments to regulations, agreements and frameworks (e.g. SOLAS, Sendai Framework and Paris Agreement)
- Strengthening the communication and general understanding, within the wider Secretariat and to WMO Members, of ocean issues and the work of WMO in responding to these issues
- Advocating internationally the important work of WMO in the ocean realm, especially the benefits to addressing global issues and the support it provides to WMO Members and regions (eg. early warnings to vulnerable communities and understanding climate change impacts)
The following entities report directly to the Assistant Secretary-General:
Anthony Rea is the Director, Infrastructure Department
The Director of the Infrastructure Department directly manages the WMO Integrated Observing System (WIGOS) Branch, incorporating:
- Measurement and Observing Networks Division, Head: Etienne Charpentier
- Space Systems and Utilization Division, Head: Kenneth Holmlund
- the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS) Secretariat
Lars Peter Riishøjgaard is the Deputy Director of the Infrastructure Department and the Director, Earth System Branch which includes:
- Earth System PredIction, Head: Lim Eunnha
- Earth System Monitoring, Head: Dominique Berod
Peiliang Shi is the Director of the WMO Information System (WIS) Branch, the single coordinated global infrastructure responsible for telecommunications and data management functions, which includes:
- Data & Information Management, Head: Enrico Fucile
- Corporate IT Systems
- Enterprise Systems
Another important role of the Department is to support WMO systems for the benefit of Members and to provide internal capability and support for information technology.
Mary Power, Director, Member Services and Development Department
The Member Services and Development Department assists National Meteorological and Hydrological Services in developing and least developed countries through projects, technology and knowledge transfer, education and training, and development partnerships. It coordinates the WMO Regional Associations meetings in which Members define the priorities for each regional and plan the implementation of WMO recommendations, based on their capacities.
Yinka Adebayo is the Deputy Director of Member Services & Development and the Director of Education and Training Office, which supports
- Training Activities, Chief: Patrick Parrish
Filipe Lucio is the Director of the Regional Strategy Office:
- Regional Strategic Division, Head: Jean-Paul Gaudechoux
- Project Management and Implementation Division, Head: Josephine Wilson
Markus Repnik is the Director of the Office for Development Partnerships
Member Services has several regional and sub-regional offices:
- Regional Office for Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Director: Amos Makarau
- Representative Office for North, West and Central Africa in Abuja, Nigeria, Bernard Gomez
- Representative Office for Eastern and Southern Africa in Nairobi, Kenya, Mark Majodina
- Regional Office for Asia and the South-West Pacific in Singapore, Head: Ben Churchill
- Representative Office the South West Pacific in Apia, Samoa, Henry Taiki
- Representative for Arab in Manama, Bahrain, Hesham Ghany
- Regional Office for the Americas in Asuncion, Paraguay, Director: Julian Benitez
- Representative Office for North and Central America and the Caribbean in Costa Rica, Rodney Martinez
- Regional Office for Europe in Geneva, Head: Milan Dacic